PP5007: Pharmaceutics and Drug Delivery Introduction
Ointments are semi-solid dosage forms intended for topical applications to the skin or mucous membranes. A topical dermatological product is designed to deliver drug into the skin in treating dermal disorders, with the skin as the target organ. Get legit paper writing services on Pharmacology now!
- Ointments are semi-solid preparations consisting of a medicament or mixture of medicaments dissolved or dispersed in a suitable base.
- Emulsifiable bases make the ointment miscible with tissue exudates and are more readily removable from the skin by washing.
APIs of whitfield ointment are benzoic acid and salicylic acid. Benzoic acid helps prevent infection caused by bacteria. Salicylic acid helps the body shed rough or dead skin cells.
- Apparatus: Beaker, Stirrer, Mortar and pestle, Measuring cylinder, Balance, Pipette, Bottle, Funnel, Glass- rod, Porcelin dish, water bath,
- Chemicals: Salicylic acid, Benzoic acid, Cetostearyl alcohol, Sodium Lauryl sulfate, White soft paraffin, Liquid paraffin and distilled water
- Methodology: Formula for 5 gm whitfield ointment
Preparation of Emulsifuing WAX:
- Cetostearyl alcohol 1230 mg
- Sodium Lauryl sulfate 135 mg
- Water 500 ul
Preparation of Emulsifuing Ointment:
- Emulsifying wax 1365 mg
- White soft paraffin 2275 mg
- Liquid paraffin 910 mg
Preparation of ointment:
- Salicylic acid (fine powder) 150 mg
- Benzoic acid (fine powder) 300 mg
- Emulsifying ointment 5000 mg
Preparation of Whitfield (Benzoic Acid and Salicylic Acid) Ointment Procedure :
- In a porcelin dish, melt cetostearyl alcohol over a water bath, add sodium lauryl sulfate and mix well. Then add water, heat and stir vigorously until frothing ceases. This is emulsifying wax (Step 1).
- To the emulsifying wax as prepared in step 1, add white soft paraffin followed by stirring well to mix properly. Then add liquid paraffin and mix until the content becomes cold. This is emulsifying ointment (Step 2).
- In a mortar, triturate salicylic acid and benzoic acid into fine powders. Gradually add a smaller portion of the melted emulsifying ointment, stir until smooth. Add the remainder of emulsifying ointment and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer to a clean container and label the container.
Preparation of Whitfield (Benzoic Acid and Salicylic Acid) Ointment Uses:
- Benzoic acid is an antibacterial and antifungal agent.
- Salicylic acid is a keratolytic agent.
Preparation of Whitfield (Benzoic Acid and Salicylic Acid) Ointment Reflective questions:
- In your lab report, write down the functions of all excipients used for the preparation of the ointment.
- If you have been provided salicylic acid (99.5% potency) and benzoic acid (99.7% potency), calculate the amount both salicylic acid (99.5% potency) and benzoic acid for the formulation of an ointment of a total amount of 5kg.